Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Beach Love + Yummy Drink Recipes

I really love the beach, in case you couldn't tell. If it was up to me, we would move there permanently. *coughGeoffcough*

Geoff and I officially stayed at his parents' timeshare in Ocean City Maryland for our vacation. However, we made several trips back up to the Delaware shore to visit family and friends over the course of the week. So before I dig into our vacay recaps, I thought I'd tell you just a little about the beaches we love in Delaware and save the stuff about OCM for later. Ready? Let's go!


Here is Delaware...well, the bottom part of it anyway. We live towards the top, about an hour and a half from the nearest major beach town. Starting with Lewes, they are all lined up in a row - Rehoboth, Dewey, Bethany, Fenwick. Then you cross over the Maryland state line and you're in Ocean City MD. We are really lucky to have access to the shore like this.

While each beach town is great in its own way, we frequent Rehoboth (family fun with great nightlife) and Dewey (24/7 party town) the most.

Rehoboth holds a special place in my heart because it is where Geoff and I got married last year. We decided on Rehoboth because it has a bit of everything - a fun boardwalk, tons of amazing restaurants and bars, a wide beach with sweet waves, cute little shops... exactly what you would want a beach town to be. It is nearly impossible to be bored there. My parents used to bring my brother and I to Rehoboth all the time when we were little, so it's great for families. At the same time, Rehoboth has fine dining and a pretty great nightlife, so it's awesome for groups and couples, too. 


Dewey is an entirely different beast altogether. People say Dewey is "a way of life" or a "lifestyle" and it's true. Put simply, you go there to drink your face off. 

  
Most of Dewey's bars have been there for years and they are Delaware beach institutions: The Lighthouse, Rusty Rudder, Que Pasa, North Beach, Bottle and Cork, and my personal favorite, The Starboard.

As an example of Dewey Beach life, a typical Saturday for me in Dewey goes something like this: Head to the Starboard around 9am for breakfast, hit their EPIC Bloody Mary bar, order a magnum or two of champagne, pass the champs around to everyone in the bar (never let the bottle touch your lips!). Have an Orange Crush around 10:30, take a few shots...shwasted by 11. In the morning. Back to your Dewey house for a nap and a shower. Maybe stop by the Lighthouse for a few drinks on the bay. Then Jam session (a line-up of several popular live cover bands) at the Bottle and Cork starts at 5:00, after which you go to North Beach and the Rudder for drunken debauchery.  

Ahhh, love love love!
The Starboard (Source)

Dewey also introduced me to my favorite summer beverage: the Grapefruit Crush (which I've mentioned before on le blog) and it's delicious counterpart, the Orange Crush. Recipes for both are below. You're welcome.

Grapefruit Crush
 1/2 grapefruit, juiced
1.5 oz Absolut Ruby Red vodka
Splash of triple sec
Splash of Sprite

Pour all ingredients over a glass filled with ice. Insert straw and drink.

Orange Crush
1 orange, juiced
1.5 oz Svedka Orange
Splash of triple sec
Splash of Sprite

Pour all ingredients over a glass filled with ice. Insert straw and drink.

Driving down to the beach, all I can think about is getting my hands on one of these bevvies. The KEY to these drinks is the fresh squeezed fruit juice and you should squeeze fresh juice each time. Trust me.

On a more serious note, Dewey (and the Starboard in particular) are pretty special to me because my uncle Phillip co-owned the Starboard in the 80s. He passed away a few months before our wedding. The Starboard kindly threw a bash in his honor in June 2012. Seeing his favorite place filled with all his old beach friends brought tears to my eyes. So...yeah. Maybe I'll do a post about it sometime.

As a born and raised Delawarian, I'm partial to Delaware beaches. Last week, however, Geoff's parents were gracious enough to let us use their timeshare in Ocean City MD and we had a blast...

So stay tuned for our upcoming vacation recaps! Part One includes a trip to Dewey and dueling pianos on the Ocean City boardwalk...

No comments:

Post a Comment