Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wedding Wednesday - Bridal Meltdown



I was not a bridezilla in the least. I mean, sure, I had my moments of frustration and annoyance, but that's normal. Weddings are freaking stressful and they tend to bring out the crazy in people you wouldn't expect. You're talking money and people's feelings and "doing what's right," not necessarily what YOU WANT TO DO. I picked my battles; I lost some, I won some. And our wedding turned out pretty amazing.

Well, except for what I refer to as My Bridal Meltdown. It was a doozy.

We got married in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Close to 200 people traveled several hours to attend our wedding. The immediate families got to Rehoboth on Thursday to begin our "wedding weekend." Everything was great - we hung out on the beach, relaxed and went out drinking in Dewey (the next beach down from Rehoboth and also where we stayed Thursday night).

Grapefruit Crush - Dewey Beach staple. Best summer drink ever.

 One of my favorite photos of us. It's my iPhone background. ;)

Friday we were supposed to check into our hotel but they kept pushing our check-in time back. Rehearsal and dinner was supposed to start late afternoon, so I said SCREW IT and decided to get ready at our beach house in Dewey. Then we got a call that our room was ready, so we rushed to the hotel so I could get showered and dressed.

Big effing mistake.

Somehow, I ended up in my hotel room with no hairdryer, no curling iron, no hair products, no makeup, no rehearsal dinner dress and no family members. No one was answering their cell phones. I took multiple trips up and down the elevator, evading our wedding guests, to find that my mom's car was locked with all my stuff inside and she was nowhere to be found. (Thanks a lot, Mom.)

I don't know, man. Something in me snapped. I had a meeting with our wedding coordinator to finalize details, then rehearsal and dinner immediately after. I would have no time to get cute and I was PISSED. I cried. I paced the hallways of the hotel, ducking down a stairwell when I saw some of our wedding guests. I seethed and smoked a cigarette and was generally acting like a big baby. 

Finally, I showered and went to the meeting with wet hair. I entered our venue (which was on the top floor of our hotel) to find our coordinator talking to some of her male staff. 

Coordinator : Hi there, bride. How's it going?
Me: I'm about to have a meltdown. *scary face*

I've never seen two dudes hightail it out of a room so fast. She managed to calm me down, saying she had all kinds of beauty products tucked away nearby. Our meeting lasted five minutes and I hauled ass back to my room. Thankfully my mom had magically appeared with all my shit. My sister made me take some yoga breaths. Then I got ready and that's it. That was my bridal meltdown.

It may not seem like this was a huge deal. But mere minutes away from the beginning of wedding festivities and I couldn't get ready? It seemed like the end of the world but it clearly wasn't. As my sister said, "You're the bride. Everyone will wait for you." (Although what asshole bride makes people wait for her? Really.) We met everyone in the lobby so our marriage license could be signed by the best man and maid of honor. Geoff appeared with a glass of pinot noir, which our wedding coordinator had sent down to "calm my nerves." Thank yoooou, delicious wine. 


Rehearsal went great, although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still a little on edge. (Oh and the groomsmen were all drunk, which definitely helped my mood. What a bunch of yahoos.) We walked down the boardwalk to the Stoney Lonen for our rehearsal dinner, which was laidback and fun, just like we wanted it.


My uncle and I.


Me and my mamadukes.
 
Best moment of the dinner: my sister (and matron-of-honor) told us she had a very sentimental gift for us. And then proceeded to hand me a minature wagon full of sex toys. Hilarious and also embarrassing. I mean, my grandmother was sitting RIGHT THERE.


After dinner, we met up with some friends at a local bar and had a few drinks before heading back to the hotel. It felt amazing to let loose a little and have some fun before the next day's shenanigans.


So our one-year anniversary (8/18) is coming up fast. I find that I'm having trouble remembering certain details from our wedding weekend, which is why I'm blogging about them here. It was the most exciting and fun weekend of my life. I mean, all your family and friends in one place, celebrating and supporting your relationship? If I could go back and do it all over again, I totally would. Plus it would give me another excuse to wear my wedding dress. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment